The region served A Chamber of Commerce is a vibrant, diverse and engaging community area that facilitates a high quality of life for residents, businesses and visitors alike. This region is a place that embodies the essence of "Small Town America" preserving and maintaining its rural and historic character and traditions, while also being focused on managed growth and development going into the future. There is a combination of rural and village life in the region, supporting a harmonious mix of residential, business and farming communities, making this area a great place to live, work and play.
This region is also a budding tourist destination for visitors, featuring amenities such as blue ribbon trout fishing, antique shops, picturesque public parks, hiking and biking trails, championship golf, camping, exquisite bed and breakfasts and friendly, hometown restaurants.
The communities served by the GWA Chamber of Commerce includes the Towns of Wheatland, Caledonia and surrounding areas located in the burgeoning Genesee River Valley Region of Western New York State, just a few miles southwest of the City of Rochester and just north of New York’s Finger Lakes region. The Towns of Wheatland and Caledonia are geographically adjacent small townships, with the town of Wheatland located in Southwestern Monroe County and the Town of Caledonia located in Northwestern Livingston County. The combined population of these towns is approximately 9,300 residents. Residents of these areas enjoy the culture and services of the metropolitan area associated with the City of Rochester, and yet still live in a rural and agricultural setting supported by beautiful open spaces and family friendly, small town atmospheres. The map below is provided as a courtesy by Featured Media.
What is the Genesee Valley Region?
The Genesee Valley was formed by a combination of natural forces including the Genesee River and glacial activity. The Genesee River is a major tributary of Lake Ontario and flows northward along the eastern edge of both the Towns of Wheatland and Caledonia. The Genesee Valley Greenway State Park is a 90-mile open space corridor that passes through both the Town of Wheatland and Town of Caledonia and is easily accessible from multiple locations in these communities. The Greenway follows the route of the Genesee Valley Canal (1840-1878) and the Pennsylvania Railroad Rochester Branch (1882-1963) connecting the Erie Canalway Trail at Rochester's Genesee Valley Park, all the way to the Village of Cuba in Allegany County, while passing through the Village of Scottsville and nearby the spectacular Letchworth State Park in Livingston County. The Greenway is part of the New York State trail system and includes a public, multi-use trail and natural and historic resources. The majority of the trail is an old railway bed that is a straight, level surface consisting of cinders, gravel and mowed grass.
The Oatka Creek is known as one of the finest trout fishing streams in New York State and flows from west to east across the entirety the Town of the Wheatland, with the northwest portion of the Town of Caledonia also included within the Oatka Creek watershed. The Oatka Creek empties into the Genesee River about 1 mile east of the Village of Scottsville in the Town of Wheatland.
Types of Communities in the Chamber's Region
The region's Residential Communities consist of a diverse set of living opportunities including: village environments, suburban environments and rural environments. There are numerous older historic homes located in the area, along with contemporary dwellings and senior living facilities. In addition to single family homes, there are a variety of rental options, from apartments to Town Houses.
The region's Business Communities are able to utilize several local resources that can positively impact efficient business metrics such as:
Easy access to transportation and distribution networks,
Land available to accommodate efficient expansion,
Proximity to a highly skilled workforce with strong work values and ethics.
Many businesses already have found this region to be a highly desirable environment to conduct their operations and achieve their business objectives in this region. We invite you to learn more about “START-UP NY”, a progressive business initiative designed to make New York State a more competitive business environment. Whether you are looking to start a new business venture, or your company is looking to re-locate or expand operations, we encourage you to explore the possibilities of joining the business communities in this region.
Agriculture is important to New York State’s economy, and takes place in almost every part of the State, including this region's Farming Communities. Nearly one-quarter of New York’s total land area is utilized as farmland. The region's geographical terrain is highly conducive for agricultural endeavors, with low rolling hills and broad flats along the Genesee River facilitating fertile and productive lands. Local farms use these lands to produce fields of wheat, oats, soy beans, and corn among other saleable crops. Farming and related businesses are essential components of the region's economy. Correspondingly there is a strong focus on the preservation and effective management of land and other natural resources that support these farming communities.
Town of Wheatland / Village of Scottsville
The Town of Wheatland is located in the southwest part of Monroe County directly to the north of the Town of Caledonia and was first formed from Town of Caledonia in 1821 as the Town of "Inverness". The Town’s name was changed later that same year to "Wheatland" demonstrating the community’s pride in agriculture and the production of award winning wheat, an important factor that helped shape the Town of Wheatland's history. The Town covers a geographic area of 30.7 square miles, supporting a population of approximately 4800. The Town of Wheatland is governed by an elected Town Board consisting of a Town Supervisor and four Town Board members. Wheatland is made up of several smaller communities including the Village of Scottsville, and the Hamlets of Mumford, Garbutt, Belcoda, Beulah and Wheatland Center. Residents are served by both the Wheatland Chili Central School District and the Caledonia-Mumford Central School District. Wheatland is the proud home of the Genesee Country Village & Museum, which is a 19th-century living history museum covering more than 600 acres in the hamlet of Mumford. The Town of Wheatland is home to multiple public parks, including Freeman Park, Indian Allan Park and Oatka Creek Park. Freeman Park has a pavilion that can be reserved for use by Town residents, includes a combination of playground equipment, a baseball/softball field and plenty of green space. Indian Allan Park is a mostly undeveloped park located along the southern banks of Oatka Creek southeast of the Village of Scottsville. Oatka Park is a beautiful, rural Monroe County Park that offers great outdoor recreation opportunities for those who enjoy walking or hiking in natural settings, viewing wildlife and fishing.
The Village of Scottsville is located in the northeastern part of the Town of Wheatland and was
named after an early settler, Isaac Scott. Scott purchased 150 acres of land in the area, settled on
this property in 1790, building a log cabin near Oatka Creek at the present southwest corner of
Main and Rochester Streets in the Village. The geographic area of Scottsville is 1.1 square miles,
mayor and the Board of Trustees. The Wheatland Municipal Building is located in the Village
downtown area and contains both Town of Wheatland and Village of Scottsville government services,
the Town's Senior Center and the Town Court. The Wheatland Chili Central School District facilities
are located within the Village of Scottsville including: the T J Connor Elementary School and the
Wheatland-Chili Middle/High School. The Sage-Marlowe House is a small working man’s house
located in Scottsville that has been restored and furnished to represent the 1830-1850 time period, it is owned and maintained by the Wheatland Historical Association. The Village of Scottsville is home to two public parks: Canawaugus Park and Johnson Park. Canawaugus Park is located on the southern banks of the Oatka Creek and is furnished with park benches and picnic tables. Johnson Park includes an enclosed pavilion that can be reserved by Town residents, includes various playground equipment, a little league baseball field, sand volleyball courts, basketball courts and lots of open space.
Town of Caledonia / Village of Caledonia
The Town of Caledonia is located in the northwest part of Livingston County. The Town was established
in 1803 as the "Town of Southampton," having previously been known as "Northampton." Settlers from Scotland renamed it in 1806 as Caledonia, the Latin name for Scotland. The Town of Caledonia's history
has been in part driven by its location and associated natural features, most notably Spring Creek where
the first fish hatchery in the western hemisphere was built by Seth Green around 1864. The Caledonia Hatchery is part of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Fish Hatcheries system. The Big Springs Museum located in Caledonia houses a rich collection of exhibits that reflect the history of the Caledonia-Mumford area. The Town of Caledonia has a geographic area of 44.1 square miles, supporting a population of approximately 4200 residents. The Town of Caledonia is governed by an elected Town Board consisting of five members, the Town Supervisor and four Councilpersons. The Caledonia Town Hall is located on Main St. in the Village of Caledonia. The Town of Caledonia is made up of several smaller communities including the Village of Caledonia, and the Hamlets of Baker, Canawaugus, Maxwell, Menzie Crossing, Taylor and Toggletown. Residents in Caledonia are served by the Caledonia-Mumford Central School District.
The Village of Caledonia is located in the northwest portion of the Town of Caledonia. The Village was incorporated in 1891 with a geographic area of 2.1 square miles, supporting approximately 2200 residents. The Village of Caledonia government is headed by a mayor and a Board of Trustees, with Village offices located on Main St. in the Village of Caledonia. Caledonia-Mumford Central School District facilities are located within the Village of Caledonia, including the historic Caledonia-Mumford Elementary School. There a five public parks located within the Village including: Mackay Park, Hamilton Park, Tennent Park, Monument Park and Washburn Park. Hamilton Park provides residents with youth recreation facilities and a pavilion with picnic tables. More than 6,000 people, including then New York State Governor Theodore Roosevelt, attended the unveiling of the Soldiers' Monument located in Monument Park in center of the Village of Caledonia, on June 13, 1900.
The geographic areas directly surrounding the Towns of Wheatland and Caledonia include many amenities and services that are utilized by local residents and businesses, effectively creating a broader region supported by the GWA Chamber of Commerce that reaches across municipal boundaries. These areas include but are not limited to: southern parts of the Town of Chili, western parts of the Town of Rush and eastern parts of the Town of LeRoy.